By Winfridah Ngassa, Joy FM/NECJOGHA
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania – The Kenya Meteorological Department (KMD) has warned of heavy rain in some parts of the country are going to experience heavy rains in the coming days.
“Heavy rains will be experienced on the south coast and north eastern region from today,” says a release signed by the Director General of KMD, Stella Aura.
The KMD warning comes on the heels of a severe weather warning from the Tanzania Meteorological Authority (TMA) of heavy rains in Dar es Salaam. The heavy rains have caused extensive flooding in the streets of the city.
In the Zanzibar islands heavy rain on Wednesday damaged 15 houses in Stone town. TMA warned that the heavy rain is to go on until October 16th.
“Heavy precipitations at times are expected over most areas of Dar es Salaam, Pwani, Morogoro (north) and Tanga regions together with Isles of Unguja and Pemba,” TMA wrote on its website on Thursday.
Meanwhile, KMD has released a 7 day cumulative rainfall forecast for the period October 7-13. Below are the highlights of the forecast;
Cumulative heavy rainfall amounts 70mm expected in some parts Mandera, Wajir & Marsabit counties.
- Cumulative moderate rainfall (50-70) mm expected in some parts of Tana River, Kwale, Embu, Murang’a, Kajiado & Siaya counties
- Less than < 20mm of rainfall expected in some parts of Turkana, Samburu, Garissa, Narok, Baringo counties.
- High daily mean temperatures above 30°C are expected in Turkana, Marsabit, Isiolo, Garissa, Tana River, Lamu, Kilifi counties.
- Moderately warm daily-mean temperatures between 20-30°C are expected in some parts of Nairobi, Machakos, Narok, Kisumu, Busia, Vihiga, Nyamira & Kisii counties.
- Daily mean minimum temperatures less than 15°C expected in some parts of Nakuru, Nyandarua, Narok, Nyeri, Meru counties.
- Some areas might experience flooding especially where cumulative rainfall is more than 70mm.
- Slippery and poor visibility during rainstorms may also pose dangers to motorists and pedestrians.