WRITTEN BY:KNA KBC Channel
Traders in Suswa trading center in Narok East Sub Conty are counting their losses after flash floods swept through their business premises destroying property worth millions of shillings.
This after a heavy downpour on Tuesday night that continued to early morning hours bringing businesses in the town located along the Narok-Mahi Mahiu highway into a standstill.
For a better part of Tuesday, the business persons were seen clearing debris from their business premises, with most of their stock having been soaked in water.
The residents led by local Member of the County Assembly Kipas Ole Lengwes say they have incurred huge losses as the floods have swept away their household goods as their businesses.
The MCA called on both the National and County Government to intervene and help the over 100 traders who were affected so that they can restore their businesses.
“I think we need a long term solution, like construction of a dam as well as construction of an expansive drainage system to ease the water flow.” Ole Lengwes said.
A resident, Lucy Wambui who operates a general shop in the trading center said the water swept away all her stock leaving her with nothing.
“I heard people screaming at night only to be shocked to find that my timber shop had been swept away by the raging floods. My worth almost Ksh 100,000 was completely destroyed,” lamented Wambui.
This comes barely four days after tens of families were rendered homeless after flash floods swept through their homesteads in Kikuyian area a few kilometers from Suswa town.
The incident prompted Governor Samuel Tunai to donate food stuffs, beddings and sanitary materials to the affected families, while urging them to move to upper grounds to avoid such occurrences in future.
“Those living in risky areas should start moving to upper grounds to avoid being swept by the floods. It is better to sacrifice for a few days instead of risking your life and property.” The Governor said.