High-Level Launch 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm CEST (Online)
Impacts and risks associated with climate change are felt at regional and local levels. To enable effective action to adapt to and mitigate the effects of climate change and extreme weather, governments and individuals must have access to science-based knowledge that is regularly updated and derived from robust data.
The State of the Climate in Africa 2019 report is the first report of its kind. It is a multiagency effort led by the World Meteorological Organization in partnership with key international and continental organizations. It provides a snapshot of climate trends, extreme weather, and associated risks and impacts in key sensitive sectors. The report highlights lessons for climate action in Africa and identifies pathways for addressing critical gaps and challenges.
The high-level launch will bring together scientific organizations, policy and decisions makers, development partners and practitioners to reflect on the urgency of climate action in Africa and the current state of capacity to achieve this.
- Prof. Petteri Taalas, WMO Secretary-General
- H.E. Josefa Leonel Correia Sacko, Commissioner for Rural Economy and Agriculture of the AUC
- H.E. Vera Songwe is Executive Secretary of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa
- H.E. Barbara Creecy, Minister of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries, South Africa (in her capacity as President of AMCEN)
- H.E. Mohamed Manar Enabah, Minister of Civil Aviation, Egypt, Chair AMCOMET Bureau
- H.E. Gilberto Silva, Minister of Agriculture and Environment of Cape Verde
- Mr. Ovais Sarmad, Deputy Executive Secretary of the UNFCCC
- Ms Maria Elena M. Q. Semedo, Deputy Director General, FAO
- Prof. Anthony Nyong, Director for Climate Change and Green Growth, African Development Bank • Mr. Amjad Abbashar, Chief Regional Office for Africa, UNDRR
- H.E. Sékou Sangare, Commissioner for Agriculture, Environment and Water Resources, ECOWAS Commission
- Mr. Amjad Abbashar, Chief Regional Office for Africa, UNDRR
- Mr. Muhammed Mukhair, Regional Director, IFRC
- High level representatives of IOM (to be updated)